Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday June 18th


9:23am
My tulsi pomegranate green tea on a beautiful Saturday morning altar.



1pm
Fresh food from today's Hanalei Farmers Market: an organic arugula salad with lentil and bean sprouts, garden cucumbers, a little organic toasted sesame oil, nama shoyu and chia seeds.



1:20pm
One slice of last night's leftover pizza.



5:20pm
I snack on a bowl of organic kids' cereal with vanilla soymilk.








8:48pm
Pasta. (Yes, again!)

Today I've had some valuable revelations about how the average american eats and what they might consider healthy... wow! Just a reminder that a "healthy" diet is relative and there's so much great information to share that could benefit so many! Personally, I feel like I've been enjoying many days of culinary debauchery lately (well, my own vegan ashtangi version of it) and I'll be making a shift back into a fresher, cleaner diet soon. I usually like to stay pretty flexible with what I eat (as long as it's vegan and mostly organic) and enjoy lots of healthy food, including whole grain pastas, and plenty of treats too. But recently it seems like there have been too many "treats" sneaking into the regular rotation: chips, beer, vegan ice cream, white bread and pasta, vegan cheese pizza, soymilk, cereal, sugar in my coffee or tea. I'm starting to feel the effects and also feeling the shift of season into summer and a desire to lighten up my body and my diet with the warmer weather!


So anyway, here's tonight's pasta... Is it "good" or "bad?" I guess that's relative; my indulgent dinner could be considered another person's health food ;) Organic semolina pasta with sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, purple olives, chickpeas, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, fresh oregano, nutritional yeast, sea salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper and lots of fresh raw chopped spinach stirred into the warm pasta at the end. Healthy? Maybe. Delicious? Yes!
(...And I wash it down with a glass of organic red wine. Cheers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment