Tuesday, March 1, 2011

mac-n-cheese heaven.


While blossom is out wandering the world on her adventure, I settle into the kitchen for an adventure of my own... I'm about to brave my very first attempt at vegan macaroni and cheese! This is a day I've been putting off for ages, because I know it won't be easy, but today I'll give it a shot and try to vegan-ize my best mac-n-cheese recipe.

It's a long road to mac-n-cheese heaven, so I pour myself a big glass of red wine and get to work. I make a roux, thicken some soymilk, melt in the daiya cheddar, and add lots of spice... I mix all that creamy cheesy-ness in with some amazingly cool looking organic macaroni and pour it into a baking dish... I even make garlic-y butter-y breadcrumbs to bake on top. It looks amazing! It's full of great vegan substitutes for the original ingredients, yet somehow, it still doesn't taste quite as good as I had hoped. It's good. It's REALLY good. But it's just not the most superamazing mac-n-cheese EVAHHHHHHH...

Maybe I'm just too sad about Blossom to enjoy my food. I'll keep trying.


(Judging by the half-empty pan, I guess maybe the mac-n-cheese was actually a bit more delicious than I had originally thought...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment