Friday, March 11, 2011

Orange Lentil Soup for Mom.

These beautiful orange lentils are about to become a nice big pot of soup!



Toss into the pressure cooker:

1.5 cups masoor daal (orange lentils)
6 cups filtered water
2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coarsly ground black pepper
2 tsp sea salt

Seal the pressure cooker and bring it up to steaming on high heat, then turn it down to low and simmer 20 minutes or so. Turn off the heat and let it sit another 10, CAREFULLY VENT ALL STEAM, and then open the pot. Stir it up, check the seasonings, adjust to taste and enjoy!



This soup came out so deliciously. It's superflavorful with all those spices and tastes great over rice too. I garnished my bowl of soup with a big handful of arugula dressed with olive oil, hemp seeds, chia seeds and fresh tomato, and then sopped it all up with a couple nice thick slices of warm, crusty Hawaiian Mixed Seed Sourdough. This meal reminds me of my mom; she loves to make orange lentil soups and always makes me veg ones when I visit. I wish I could share a bowl with her tonight but I guess I'll just send her appreciative thoughts while I enjoy it! I love you mom!!!

Dinner (3/9/11 4:57 PM)

No comments:

Post a Comment